The 3400 Southwest backpack is a versatile performer on rugged and narrow trails, capable of adjusting to changing gear volumes during weekend, section, or thru hikes. This backpack is particularly useful when resupply points are infrequent, or when gear flexibility is required. The pack's top can be rolled down to reduce its overall size to that of the 2400 when the additional volume is not needed. However, the extra space can be beneficial when it is required.
When you encounter dense vegetation, need to climb over immovable obstacles, or have to squeeze through narrow gaps, the Southwest backpack is the ideal choice. This backpack is designed specifically for challenging adventures that would tear apart most other ultralight-style packs.
Take this pack on your next thru-hike of the John Muir Trail!
Note that due to the dimensions of this pack, we cannot offer free shipping.
- Small 1.92 lbs | 30.69 oz | 870g
- Medium 1.94 lbs | 31.08 oz | 881g
- Large 2.04 lbs | 32.59 oz | 924g
- Tall 2.07 lbs | 33.09 oz | 938g
- Small 2.09 lbs | 33.40 oz | 947g
- Medium 2.13 lbs | 34.04 oz | 965g
- Large 2.22 lbs | 35.52 oz | 1007g
- Tall 2.24 lbs | 35.91 oz | 1018g
- Three external, solid Dyneema® Hardline pockets
- Removable, contoured aluminum stays
- Dyneema® Hardline shoulder straps with 3/8" closed cell foam and spacer mesh
- 1/4" foam back panel pad
- Compression System
- Roll-Top closure system with side compression straps for vertical compression
- Side compression straps for horizontal compression
- Top Y-strap compression -- Designed to secure gear
- Dyneema® Hardline hip belt with 1/8" closed cell rigid foam, 3/8" closed cell foam, and spacer mesh
- Dyneema® Hardline zippered pockets on the hip belt with #5 YKK zipper
- Adjustable sternum strap with self-tensioning elastic
- Ice tool loop
- Hydro port and internal mesh hydro sleeve
- Four exterior triglide buckles for optional pack accessory straps
- Proprietary seam sealing on all side seams and behind all sewn-on pack features