CA Green Business Certification
Environmental Policy Statement
We strive to incorporate sustainability into our core operations through internal and external efforts. Specifically, we adopt the following policies and practices:
- Reduce, Reuse, and Recycle.
- Avoid the use of toxic chemicals.
- Conserve energy, water, natural resources, and move away from fossil fuels where possible.
- Promote environmental education, outreach, and awareness to our staff.
1. Reduce, Reuse and Recycle
We commit to –
- Reduce our waste stream by increasing our recycling capabilities to 85% diversion from the landfill.
- Strive to increase waste diversion by recycling all paper, cardboard, wood, metals, bottles, plastics, packaging, and cans.
- Discontinue the use of disposable products by using washable/reusable items.
- Reduce waste by donating reusable office items (appliances, electronic equipment, and furniture) to charitable organizations.
- Reuse envelopes and packaging.
- Promote the use of natural lighting and solar energy, where feasible.
- Institute a policy to turn off lighting and appliances in unoccupied rooms.
- Conserve water with the installation of ultra-low flow and/or dual flush toilets.
2. Toxics Reduction
- We minimize the use of toxic materials to protect employee health and the environment. Specifically, we do the following -
- Purchase low to non-toxic janitorial cleaning products (only those approved for use by the CA Green Business Program). Certified by Green Seal, UL Ecologo, EPA Safer Choice, or with a rating from the Environmental Working Group of an 'A' or 'B.'
- Use recycled-content products, materials, and supplies when available.
- Purchase Low VOC paints, markers, and non-toxic air fresheners.
- Recycle universal wastes (electronics, batteries, fluorescent light tubes, used motor oil) and prohibit purchasing materials that may lead to hazardous waste generation. Find a drop-off for universal/hazardous waste at Earth911 or your local waste hauler’s website.
- Purchase rechargeable batteries and appliances only.
- Promote stormwater pollution prevention and source control with signage, education, and policies that reduce the flow of contaminants into storm drains.
3. Conserve Resources
We choose environmentally preferable purchasing -
- Office paper with 30% post-consumer recycled content or 30% + FSC certified; bathroom, and kitchen papers with at least 30%+ post-consumer recycled content as well.
- Products with the least packaging (no plastic, polystyrene, or aerosol packaging, bulk purchasing when feasible).
- Recycled content-containing office furniture and supplies.
- Refillable bottles and reusable and/or recycled content bags
- LED lighting and Energy Star appliances and electronics.
- Water-efficient toilets, showerheads, and faucet aerators.
We conserve fossil fuels -
- Promoting biking to work and carpooling.
- Using renewably sourced energy.
We shall strive to build and remodel using LEED green building standards.
4. Employee Education
We shall educate employees on resource conservation and pollution prevention through –
- Hosting only zero-waste events i.e. ensuring that little to no waste is generated during work parties, picnics, meetings.
- Training programs to educate employees on proper recycling & composting practices, resource conservation ideas, the importance of low-toxic purchasing, etc.
- Providing employee incentives for environmentally preferable practices such as recycling and biking to work.
- Informing staff of environmental issues in company emails, training materials, staff meetings.
Through the course of our work, we endeavor to promote these policies to other companies, organizations, and individuals. Through donations, we will support the work of local environmental organizations.